I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy, we are open and here to serve you. Our technicians are taking extra steps to insure your safety and their safety when entering your home. Got a Pest? Call the Best! 931-456-6689
Ants and Termites are confusing…. how you can tell them apart??? You can schedule a FREE INSPECTION with our company to determine which one you may be experiencing problems with. Termites can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage.Call Today For a Free Inspection.
How To Tell The Difference Between Ants And Termites
Out of all of the insects in the world, two of the hardest ones to tell apart from one another are ants and termites.Both of these insects appear during the springtime and summertime, mostly to mate and reproduce.
However, if you ever come across both of them, it’s important to know which is which.
Characteristics of Ants
Ants possess the following characteristics:
- They have waists that are constricted and narrow in nature
- They have antennae that appear to be bent
- They possess three very distinct bodily segments
- They are darker in color and do not avoid light
Characteristics of Termites
Termites possess the following characteristics:
- Rather than having an actual waist, their bodies are more rectangular in nature
- They have antennae that are more straight and furry, also known as “bearded”
- They are a more transparent color (light, creamy, etc.)
- They avoid light unless a situation arises, such as a disturbance of their nest
One major way in which it may be next to impossible to tell termites and ants apart is the fact that during their respective reproductive stages, both insects are winged. In addition, there is also the fact that both insects swarm in their winged forms at the same time of the year and in similar weather conditions. However, there are some subtle ways that you can tell the winged versions of the insects apart from one another.
Characteristics of Winged Ants
- Their wings extend only to slightly past the end of their bodies
- Their wings tend to take on a slight angle, causing them to point away at the bottom
Characteristics of Winged Termites
- Their wings are long and narrow in shape, extending beyond their abdomens by approximately one entire body length or more
- Their wings point away in a straight line
Regardless of whether they are winged or not, ants and termites can cause numerous issues that will require them to be taken care of as soon as possible.
Wasp stings hurt. Did you know that a wasp can sting more than once during an attack? Wasp stingers remain intact. However, even without a lodged stinger, wasp venom can cause significant pain and irritation. Read more about wasp pest control here.
If you are concerned about wasps on your property, contact a pest professional. They will be able to inspect your home, confirm the type of wasp and recommend a course of wasp control to get rid of wasps. Call us to schedule a free pest or termite inspection, or to remove a wasp nest. 931-456-6689.